Sensually Wicked Man Love

The thoughts and challenges I come across in being a heterosexual woman, wife and mother who loves to write m/m erotic romances. I'm not gay or male, but the thoughts of two gorgeous, confident men together is my idea of a hot time! I write for others, both men and women, who feel the same.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

sexual content

I like more than just a tease or taste of an intimate relationship if it is going to be a part of storyline. That's why i writer erotic romance. But I have read several of the Mark Manning series and while I enjoyed the books, I felt like the intimacy between the two main characters was glossed over.

I was disappointed that I couldn't get a better sense of why one man gave up his flourishing career in one state, one that was dependant of a loyal clientele to grow, his custom built, gorgeous home he had designed himself, and and all of his friends and associates to move away and start over with the other man at ground zero again.

I know they were in love, but I never got that sense of passioante depth out of the books. Did I miss something or am I expecting too much from novels that put a love interest in them?

How much sexual content do you expect in any fiction book(adventure, romance, mystery, historial, paranormal) you read where there is a romantic relationship as a part of the storyline with the major characters? How much do you WANT to have in the story?

5 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia said...

Well, it depends on what I'm reading, but I'm more for characters I can relate to and solid plots that keep me turning pages than I am for the sexual content. {pauses, thinks...} Heh, that seems rather hypocritical of me when I write sizzling material, ROFL! Well, anyway, my e-books and magazine material sizzle, but my other stuff is more mainstream with magickal elements.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Zinnia said...

Btw, forgot to mention that I visited your website. I love the graphics with your book covers. Those are awesome!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Zinna. I saw those carousels and just had to have them! "Pretty, pretty, shiny, shiny!" That's my otto!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Laura Rose said...

Hi Laura, I'm firmly of the opinion that if a story is about love and romance (regardless of gender), then the love scenes between the main characters needs to be shown. So much information can be shown this way, and I don't just mean an instruction manual of what bit goes where, LOL!

Love between two people is communicated in so many ways. I write erotic romance as well, and while "sex" is not the most important thing between two people, it sure can show a great deal about their thoughts and feelings.

Having said all that, I also think it's important to let the story and the characters dictate the plot. If that means high sexual tension and less bedroom action, then so be it. I've been pinged by one reviewer for not having enough sex, but the story and the romance (incl sexual tension) took precedence (sp? I so need spell check, LOL) Forced sex scenes are obvious and what's worse, is they detract from the story, which is why I buy the book in the first place. It's all about the story IMHO.

OK, climbing down off my high horse now *g* I love your site, Laura!

Cheers,
Laura Rose Middleton
www.lrmiddleton.com

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the additional input, Laura Rose and Katie. It's good to hear other authors' opinions on this. I have a lot of sex in my stories, but I write M/M erotic romance and M/M couples, IMO, have sex more often then M/F couples do, in RL and in my work, anyway.

Thanks for the kind words about my site!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home